Terms of Entry 20th February, 2020
If under the age of 18, as a parent or legal guardian, I must read and agree to the terms of the waiver and release and to the Terms of Entry on behalf of my child (“Junior Entrant”). I also acknowledge that I have read the Data Protection Statement (see below) in respect of how the Junior Entrant’s personal data will be processed.
I agree that where I am registering for the Event (defined below) on behalf of another person (“Secondary Entrant”) that I have brought the waiver and release and these Terms of Entry to their attention and that they have agreed to be bound by Terms of Entry. Where the Secondary Entrant is a Junior Entrant, I also agree that I have brought these Terms of Entry to the attention of their Parent or Guardian and that they have agreed to the waiver and release and the Terms of Entry on behalf of their child.
If I am completing registration to participate in the Darkness Into Light Event (“Event”) on behalf of one or more adults over whom I have power of attorney or a Ward of Court, I represent and warrant that I have authorisation to agree, for and on their behalf, the terms of this waiver, in respect of how their personal data will be processed and the Terms of Entry (as set out below). I also acknowledge that I have read the Data Protection Statement.
- For consideration of participation in the Event to be held on the 9th of May, 2020, I waive and release Pieta House (“Pieta House”), including its directors, officers, administrators, representatives and executors, past and present employees, volunteers, coordinators, supervisors, participants, including from all countries outside of Ireland, counties, all sponsors and partners, their representatives and successors(collectively, the "Releasees"), from any and all claims, liabilities, or causes of action arising out of an injury to me (or my child) and from any and all claims, liabilities, or causes of action arising from my (or my child's) participation or attendance in this Event to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.
- I, acknowledge that I should not enter and participate in any manner unless I am medically and physically able. I further agree that if at any time I believe conditions or equipment to be unsafe, I will immediately cease participation and will promptly notify a representative of Pieta House or Local Venue Organiser (as defined below) of such unsafe conditions or equipment. I confirm and verify that I am in good health and able to participate in the Event. In the event where I am unable to consent on my own because of an injury or illness, I consent to and authorize Pieta House, Local Venue Organiser and its representatives to obtain emergency medical treatment for me in case of any illness or injury resulting from or occurring during my participation. I understand and accept that any medical costs incurred with respect to emergency medical treatment will be my responsibility.
- For any and all injury, death, illness, property damage, or any loss suffered or sustained by me which is in any way associated with my participation or volunteering in, travel to and from, or other activity associated with Pieta House and Darkness Into Light, I do hereby to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, for myself, my heirs, assigns, next of kin, personal representatives, administrators, and executors, forever covenant not to sue and waive, release, and/or discharge any and all rights and claims for any expenses, damages, or other losses which I may have or which may hereinafter accrue against Pieta House and/or its representatives, officers, directors, employees, agents, sponsors and partners, successors(the “Releases”), whether caused by the negligence of the Releases or otherwise. I agree to abide by all participant rules and policies adopted by Pieta House.
- I assume all risks associated with my participation, including injuries to person and property, or death, whether caused by negligence or otherwise.
- I also grant full permission on a royalty free basis for the free use of my name, picture, and voice in any broadcast, telecast, print account or any account in any medium used in connection with this Event or future events of Pieta House.
- I agree that if any portion of this Release is deemed to be invalid that portion shall be severed from the relevant provision and the remainder of the Release will still be binding and enforceable.
- I acknowledge I have carefully read, accept, and agree to the Terms of Entry. I acknowledge that I have also read the Data Protection Statement.
DARKNESS INTO LIGHT TERMS OF ENTRY
The Event is provided by Pieta House, a charity, registered in Ireland with Charities Regulatory Authority (CRA) 20062026 whose registered office is at Lucan Road, Lucan, Co. Dublin, Ireland. Pieta House is a charity registered with the Irish Revenue Commissioners, number CHY16913 (“Pieta House”).
Please read the following terms and conditions carefully as they are the terms on which the contract between you and Pieta House will operate (the Agreement). They comprise the rules of entry into Darkness Into Light 2020 and are what you have agreed to when entering.
THE EVENT - The Event is a 5km walking event which takes place on the 9th of May 2020 in the early morning. You have the choice to participate in one of the 228 venues worldwide. Each venue is operated by a committee of local volunteers (Local Event Organisers).
The event takes place outdoors in the dark and we ask that all participants wear sensible footwear, warm clothes, rainwear and carry a torch. For your comfort, you may like to bring water.
ENTRY FEE - The early bird entry fee for Darkness Into Light is 21 EUR (for adults), 16 EUR (for Seniors 65+, Students 18+ and Unemployed) and is free for children under 5 years. The normal registration period entry fee is 26 EUR (adults), 21 EUR (Seniors 65+, Students 18+, Unemployed) and is 5 EUR for children from 6 years to 17 years. There is a family ticket available at EUR 52 (early bird price) or EUR 62 (normal registration period), which covers registration for a maximum of two adults and five children under 18. For international venues registration fees will be processed in local currency. The early bird entry will be available until 17 March, 2020.
CREDIT AND DEBIT CARDS - Your entry will be processed by Funraisin, Finsbury Square, London (“Funraisin”). “Darkness Into Light” will appear on your credit/debit card statement.
ENTRY AND BENEFITS - In return for your entry fee, Pieta House will supply you with one entry to the Event. Additional information will be provided. If you register before the 1st May 2020 and choose to receive a free t-shirt, your t-shirt will be sent to your home address.
Other benefits may be available at the start or finish of the Event and at the discretion of the Local Event Organisers. For the avoidance of doubt you are purchasing entry into the Event only and any benefits are incidental and may vary.
CONFIRMING YOUR PLACE - Your entry to the Event (or another adult where you have entered another adult to the Event on their behalf in accordance with the Terms of Entry is only secured once you have received an email confirming your (or their) entry. The email will be sent within 48 hours after completion of the online registration form and receipt of the payment.
NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE - Please note that entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Once accepted, your place cannot be transferred to any other person. Accepted entries cannot be deferred to the following year.
Children under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the Event. The guardian of the child must enter the Event prior to the child entering. Where groups of children are attending the event, at least one responsible adult (over 18 years) must be present for every 10 children. Where children under the age of 6 are attending the event, one adult must be present for every 2 children.
PROPULSION - You are not permitted to use any form of propulsion or transport (including but not limited to rollerblades, bicycles or scooter) and the Event must be completed by walking.
ANIMALS - Dogs are permitted to take part in the Event and in the start and finish enclosure. However, if this is not the case in a certain county or country, Pieta House will communicate this to you in advance of the Event. Dogs should be on a short leash only. Dogs owners are required to adhere to ‘clean up after their pet’ regulations. If, in the opinion of the Local Event Organiser, your dog displays aggressive, dangerous or otherwise unsuitable behaviour towards other entrants, spectators, organising staff or other dogs you will be required to arrange for your dog to be removed from the Event. If you fail to do this, you will be asked to leave the Event.
ALCOHOL AND DRUGS - No alcohol or illegal drugs are to be brought into the Event site or consumed during the Event.
COMMUNICATIONS - If you are a registered participant of the Event, Pieta House must send you suitable operational emails which are directly relevant to the practical co-ordination and running of the Event. This includes a confirmation and welcome email and a thank you email after the Event. If you chose to become an online fundraiser then we must also send you additional emails related to this activity, again directly relevant to managing this fundraising process. We may also contact you about future Darkness into Light events or the other activities of Pieta House where you have consented to receiving such communications. You may opt-out out of these emails at any time. These communications will be carried out by Pieta House in accordance with the terms of the Data Protection Statement.
BEHAVIOUR - By entering the Event you agree to follow the reasonable directions of Pieta House Local Event Organisers and abide by the rules of the Event which will be communicated to you from time to time and available on the following website www.darknessintolight.ie.
MEDICAL INFORMATION AND LIABILITY - You are responsible for your own wellbeing and medical suitability for taking part in the Event. If you are in doubt about your ability to take part in or finish the Event or you have any medical condition, consult your doctor. None of Pieta House or Darkness Into Light, the charities benefiting from Darkness Into Light nor the Event sponsors (together the Organisations) accept any liability for the health of the entrant. Pieta House advises that you should have personal insurance that covers you for participating in road walking events. Pieta House and Local Event Organisers reserve the right to require any person to withdraw from the Event if they believe it is in the best interests of the Event.
DISABLED ENTRANTS –People with disabilities are more than welcome to take part in the Event.
SPONSORSHIP MONEY RAISED - You are not permitted to use any of the sponsor money that you raise in relation to your entry into the Event to pay for your expenses. Any information relating to a failure to pass on sponsorship money will be reported to the relevant authorities. You are not permitted to use your entry to raise money other than for Pieta House or to pass on funds raised for Pieta House to other charities (this includes but is not limited to any fundraising taking place online Any money raised by you relating to your participation in the Event must be paid to Pieta House. ). Sponsorship monies raised from Events that take place outside of Ireland will be transferred to partner charities approved by Pieta House. Pieta House will use the money raised for its general charitable purposes, details of which can be found at www.darknessintolight.ie.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (IP) - Pieta House owns the IP rights in the name Darkness Into Light. These rights include both trademarks and copyright. You are not permitted to use any of the rights owned by Pieta House, or these terms and conditions, for your own purposes or to raise funds for Pieta House other than in connection with events and challenges approved by Pieta House. Pieta House reserves the right to delete inappropriate or proprietary information that is posted on the site by users and on the fundraising pages and/or team pages.
COMPLAINTS - If you have any complaints or queries, please write to the Project Leader, Darkness into Light, Pieta House, First Floor, Greenhills Retail Park, Greenhills Road, Tallaght, Dublin 24.
LEGAL INFORMATION -The Terms of Entry are only available in English and a copy will be available on the Darkness Into Light website. The Terms of Entry shall be governed by the laws of Ireland and be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of Ireland, and you hereby submit to the jurisdiction of said courts. You will also benefit from any mandatory consumer law provisions of the country in which you are resident and this shall not affect your rights as a consumer to rely on such mandatory provisions of local law.
DATA PROTECTION - Pieta House is the data controller of personal data relating to registered Event participants and Event volunteers. Pieta House has a dedicated Data Protection Statement (see below), a link to which is provided to all adult participants, and it is also available on the Event website. Pieta House treats all personal information provided in a confidential manner and uses this information solely for the purpose or purposes for which it was originally supplied. Pieta House is aware of its legal obligations under data protection law. Pieta House collects, uses and stores personal data in compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the related Irish Data Protection Act 2018. Pieta House recognises that protecting personal data and ensuring data privacy through appropriate processes, controls, and security is essential. Pieta House is cognisant that individuals must be able to exercise their data subject rights and will fully facilitate this wherever possible.